What is ahifenasav?
- Ref : Bhaishajya Ratnavali, Atisar Rogaadhikara
- Drug Name: Ahifenasava, Ahiphenasava
- Availability : It is available online and in stores.
- Type of Medicine : Herbal
- Main use : loose motion
- Main properties: stop diarrhea
- Dosha Effect: Bile boosters
- Use in pregnancy : No
Ahifenasava is an ayurvedic medicine which is mainly used in the treatment of severe diarrhea. This drug controls recurrent thin diarrhea in cholera in a short time, which gives a new life to the patient.
The name of this drug consists of two words, Ahefen and Asava. Ahifen means Opium and Asava is a kind of Ayurvedic liquid medicine. So in this way this drug is a liquid medicine made from opium. Opium is the main ingredient of this medicine.
Aphiensava ie opium is obtained from a plant called Tevar somniferum. Opium is bitter, astringent, constipating in nature, stimulant for sex, alcoholic and antispasmodic.
Ingredients of Ahiphenasava
The main ingredients of Ahiphenasava is Ahiphena (Afeem or Opium).
|Rectified Spirit||400 Parts|
|Shuddha Ahiphena – Papaver Somniferum||16 Parts|
|Nagarmotha (Nut Grass) – Cyperus Rotundus||4 Parts|
|Indrayava – Holarrhena Antidysenterica Seeds||4 Parts|
|Elaichi (Cardamom) – Elettaria Cardamomum||4 Parts|
Aiphenasava Preparation Method
First take rectified spirit in the given quantity and add pure Ahiphena (Opium) in it. Mix both the ingredients well and after that add all other ingredients into it.
It is better to use mud pot for this purpose. Tie the mouth of the vessel with any cloth to make it air tight. Now place this pot in a dry place for atleast one month.
After one month just filter the liquid to get the Ahifenasava. Now fill the liquid in glass bottles. It is called Ahifenasava.
Medicinal Properties of Ahiphenasava
Ahiphenasava has following medicinal properties:
Ahiphenasava is helpful in the following health conditions.
- Severe Diarrhea or watery stools.
- Cholera (to reduce the frequency of loose stools).
- Abdominal Pain and cramps.
Uses of Ahifhensava
- Ahifenasava works very well in intestinal problems such as diarrhea, severe gastrointestinal inflammation and dysentery.
- If the patient is suffering from excessive diarrhea and watery diarrhea, stomachache, stiffness, vomiting and fever, then this medicine can be taken in such condition.
- This drug has a positive effect on the digestive system.
- Taking this medicine reduces inflammation of the intestines.
Ahiphenasva Dosage & Directions
|Children (above the age of 5 years)||1 to 2 drops|
|Adults||5 to 10 drops|
|Geriatric Dosage||1 to 2 drops.|
|Maximum Possible Dosage||20 drops per day|
How to Take Ahiphenasava
|Anupan (Adjuvant)||30 to 60 ml water.|
|Dosage Frequency||Twice or thrice daily|
|Medication Time||After a meal or whenever required.|
It is consumed in the dosage of 1 to 2 drops for children and 5 to 10 drops for adults twice or thrice a day.
Precations and side effects while using Ahiphenasava
- This medicine should be taken under the supervision of a qualified doctor.
- Special care should be taken about the age and physical strength of the patient while taking this medicine.
- Never take this drug in large amounts.
- Bile is increased by taking this drug, so people of bile predominant nature should not take this medicine.
- Consuming this may cause stomach irritation.
- Constipation can be caused by taking an overdose, so patients who have constipation problem do not take it at all.
- Patients with kidney disease should not take this medicine.
- Do not use this medicine during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
- Consuming this medicine in excess can cause burning sensation in hands, feet, mouth ulcers and ulcers.
- If there is any type of problem, contact your doctor and stop using the medicine immediately.
How did you like this article? Please tell your thoughts through comments.