What is Mandoor Bhasma?
Mandoor Bhasma is an Ayurvedic medicine made from Mandur, that is, old iron rust. This medicine is very useful in diseases of the liver and spleen. This medicine is also used in anemia, amenorrhea (absent periods), dysmenorrhea, and jaundice (hemolytic jaundice).
Liv-52, which is a well-known liver medicine and used as a liver tonic, contains mandur bhasma as the main ingredient.
Consuming Mandoor Bhasma provides benefits in diseases of liver and spleen, anemia, it ends anemia, benefits in jaundice, problems of menstrual disturbances, and absence of menstruation.
About Mandur Bhasma
Apart from this, taking this drug is also beneficial in problems like loss of appetite, general weakness, and restlessness.
Mandoor Bhasma is compared to Loh Bhasma , because there is no much difference between Mandoor Bhasma and lauh Bhasma. The properties and uses of both are the same. Mandoor Bhasma is softer than iron and is made of iron oxide (rusted iron).
Therefore, it contains a lot of iron, due to which taking this drug cures the lack of blood in the body, yellowing of the face and hands, liver and spleen diseases, etc.
Ingredients of Mandur Bhasma
To make mandur bhasma, the following ingredients are required. First old iron rust is purified and then mandur bhasma is made.
- Old Iron Rust (Ferric Oxide or red iron oxide)
- Triphala Decoction
- Cow’s Urine
- Aloe Vera Juice
How to make Mandoor Bhasma
First, at least 100 years old mandoor (old iron rust) is taken because 100 years old mandoor is considered the best in Ayurveda. Even if the mandoor is 80 years old, it can be used, but the mandor below 60 years of age is considered poisonous and not used for medical purposes.
One part of the 100-year-old mandoor and four-part of Triphala decoction is taken. First, the old iron rust and Triphala decoction is heated on fire. Heat this mixture until all the water present in this mixture blows away and only the powder remains in the vessel.
After that, this powder is mixed with cow urine and aloe vera juice and ground well, and then it is dried. When it dries well then it is heated to a high temperature by placing it on a furnace. This process repeated several times to get the best quality of medicine. In this way, Mandoor Bhasma is formed.
Note: Making Mandur Bhasma is a bit difficult because firstly it is difficult to get 80-year-old Mandoor and after that, it is not so easy to make this Bhasma according to the method mentioned above. Therefore, this medicine should buy from a well-reputed company.
Chemical formation of Mandoor Bhasma
Mandur Bhasma is chemically a form of Ferric Oxide or red iron oxide(Fe2O3). But mandur bhasma is prepared with the help of herbs and calcined under high temperature. In this way, it contains medicinal properties.
Medicinal Uses of Mandoor Bhasma
Mandur Bhasma is consumed in the following diseases.
- Hepatic enlargement
- Spleen enlargement
- Abdominal colic
- Loss of appetite
- Blood pressure
- General weakness
- Haematinic (increases hemoglobin levels)
- Hematogenic (helps in the formation of red blood cells)
- Digestive Stimulant
- Fat Burner
- Lowers bilirubin
|Taste – RASA||KASAYA (Astringent)|
|Main Quality – GUNA||SHEETA (Cool)|
|Potency – VIRYA||SHEETA (Cold)|
|Resultant – VIPAKA||KATU (Pungent)|
|Therapeutic Effect – PRABHAVA||Haematinic|
|DOSHA KARMA (Effect on Humors)||Pacifies PITTA & KAPHA|
|Effects on Organs||Blood, Muscles, Red Bone Marrow, Liver, Spleen, Heart, Pancreas & Lungs|
Mandur Bhasma is helpful in following health conditions.
- Splenomegaly – Spleen Enlargement
- Hepatomegaly – Liver Enlargement
- Anemia due to Geophagia – Earth eating
- Amenorrhea – Linked with iron deficiency anemia
- Metrorrhagia – Excessive blood loss
- Loss of appetite
- General debility – especially associated with anemia
- Chronic Fever with restlessness (99°F)
- Rickets – along with Praval Pishti or Mukta Pishti and Giloy Sat
- Hemolytic Jaundice
Benefits of Mandur Bhasma
- This drug cures liver and spleen growth.
- By taking this drug, the liver works properly, which cures loss of appetite, restlessness, and general weakness.
- This medicine provides relief in stomach pain, heaviness, etc.
- It cures other problems caused due to anemia.
- This drug can be used in place of Lauh Bhasma.
- It can be consumed in pregnancy as well as by the children because it is more benign than Loh Bhasma.
- This medicine is beneficial in the inflammation of the body.
- It has a positive effect on the digestive system.
- It regenerates red blood cells in the blood and increases the level of hemoglobin.
- The habit of eating soil and chalk etc. is cured by taking this medicine because all these habits are due to lack of hemoglobin.
The therapeutic dosage of Mandur Bhasma is as follows.
|Children||25 to 50 mg *|
|Adults||125 to 375 mg *|
|Pregnancy||25 mg *|
|Geriatric (Old age)||50 to 125 mg *|
|Maximum Possible Dosage||750 mg **|
* Twice a day with appropriate adjuvant ** Total Daily Dosage in Divided Doses
|Proper timing of medication (when to take?)||After having food|
|How many times a day?||2 times – morning and evening|
|Anupan (take with whom?)||With Trikatu Churna and Honey|
|Duration of treatment (how long to take)||Seek medical advice|
Precautions & Side Effects
- Generally, no side effects of this drug have been seen, but we recommend that you take this medicine only after taking the advice of your doctor.
- Mandur Bhasma made of good company should be consumed. Consuming raw or undercooked medicine can cause an excess of toxins in the body, which can change the taste of the mouth and darken the stool.
- It is probably safe to take this medicine to pregnant women and children.
This medicine is manufactured by Baidyanath (Mandoor Bhasma), Dabur (Mandoor Bhasma), Patanjali Divya Pharmacy (Divya Mandura Bhasma), Manil (Mandur Bhasma), Rasashram (Mandoor Bhasma), and many other Ayurvedic companies.